Hello! My name is Mrs. Feola and I am a Speech-Language Pathologist. I provide speech therapy services to students at PS 160, grades Kindergarten through 5th.
Speech Therapy is offered to students whose academic performance is adversely affected by one or more of the following:
- Expressive Language: the ability to express and sequence ideas clearly using correct grammar and syntax (word order)
- Receptive Language- the ability to understand spoken language, follow directions and make sense of classroom instructions.
- Phonological Awareness - understanding that words are made up of sounds, sounds can be manipulated to change words and sounds correspond to letters to write
- Articulation/Phonology- the ability to produce sounds in a manner appropriate to a child's age.
- Fluency - the ability to communicate ideas without excessive repetitions and hesitations
- Voice - the ability to use correct voice volume, quality and pitch.
Often difficulties in these areas interfere with a child's educational process, academically, emotionally or socially. When one or more of these areas begin to negatively impact a child's classroom success intervention is necessary.
Speech therapy consists of a variety of activities including: practicing speech, language and listening skills, hands on activities such as cooking or making crafts, vocabulary development, conversational skills to promote turn taking, stories, skills based games and music.
Therapy services are offered in small group or an individual basis for 30 minutes.
If you have any questions or concerns about your child's speech or language skills, please feel free to contact me.